For Estella

I am thankful for many things and one of those is my two healthy children. Whilst browsing Twitter, I came across the story of Estella. Estella died at the age of only eight months of a genetic condition, SMA or Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I hope this blog can help raise awareness of the condition and at the same time, I would like to call for submissions of handmade stars to create a wall for Estella and all the children who use Bluebell Wood Hospice where Estella stayed.

Stars should be between 5cm and 15cm across and suitable to be displayed on a wall. Obviously stars will need to be child friendly, both visually and as I am hoping to create a piece than can act as sensory stimulation for the children at the hospice, the pieces will also need to be safe for small fingers...non toxic, no sharp edges, beads and buttons securely sewn or glued.

Thursday 21 June 2012

Things are starting to get busy!

Lots of people showing me stars they've made on twitter at the moment! Really looking forward to showing them to you. I need to take a photo of all the stars I already have, so you can see how the wall is shaping up. Will see if I can manage that in daylight!

In the post this week form Nicola a really beautifully cross-stitched star....and she's made another two!


And out of the kiln this week...the three stars you've seen in progress.

I went for a simple transparent green glaze for the leaves, and I'm very pleased with the results.

I'll hopefully have some more stars to show you soon. I'm still thinking of more to put in the kiln, I think I might do some smaller ones and glaze them different colours.

Let me know if you're working on any stars, and feel free to blog about the project. The more the merrier!

3 comments:

  1. So happy to know more stars are joining the Estella's wall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello! if we make a star how can we get it to you? just wondering! thanks for all the cool work you're doing for precious little estella :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can send you my address via email or Direct Message on Twitter :) my email is lisa@bs40.org

    It has been really busy on twitter this week with lots of people showing me photos of the stars they've made or asking to join. Any stars will be greatly appreciated and hopefully this project is helping to spread the awareness of SMA

    Thank you to everyone who has made a star or is helping to spread the word :)

    ReplyDelete